Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative

Breaking News

Posted: June 25, 2015

Texas woman blinded by flesh-eating bacteria during mud run

Related

By Zach Dennis

The Palm Beach Post

DALLAS —

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A Texas woman took part in a mud run and wound up blind in one eye. Why? Flesh-eating bacteria.

Brittany Williams lost vision in one eye after muddy debris hit the eye and caused a cut that allowed flesh-eating bacteria to enter and destroy her cornea.

"My eye started hurting, like maybe I've got mud or some debris in there," Williams told KTVT. "When I opened my eye, it was just like white. The whole room was white."

>> Read more trending stories

The flesh-eating bacteria she contracted, known as necrotizing fasciitis, "is a bacterial skin infection that enters the body through a wound such as a cut, scrape or bite," according to CBS.

Williams spent a week in the hospital, piling up $100,000 in medical bills. Her family started a GoFundMe page that is helping defray the costs.

This isn’t the first case of flesh-eating bacteria that has caused harm to someone in the past few weeks. It was revealed that a woman in Georgia being treated for flesh-eating bacteria slipped into a coma for 11 days. A Florida man contracted flesh-eating bacteria while fishing, which landed him in the hospital. Florida has also warned of the dangers of a more rare type of flesh-eating bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, which thrives in warm water. 

Read more at KTVT.

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

 
 

97X Poll of The Week

 

 

Instagram

 

TWITTER