Now Playing
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative



200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Aly Raisman files lawsuit against USOC, USA Gymnastics

Olympic gold medal gymnast Aly Raisman has filed a lawsuit against the United States Olympic Committee over the group’s handling of accusations of sexual abuse against team doctor Larry Nassar.

NBC News reported that Raisman says the USOC knew that Nassar was abusing her and other athletes by saying he was medically treating the athletes. 

In a statement Raisman said that both USOC and USA Gymnastics are not answering allegations about Nassar.

>> Read more trending news 

“After all this time, they remain unwilling to conduct a full investigation, and without a solid understanding of how this happened, it is delusional to think sufficient changes can be implemented,” Raisman said in the statement to NBC News.

Raisman filed the lawsuit that cites the USOC and USA Gymnastics as defendants on Wednesday but the announcement of the suit was announced Friday morning, ABC News reported.

>>Who is Dr. Larry Nassar, former USA gymnastics team doctor?

The suit alleges that Nassar sexually molested Raisman at the Karolyi Ranch National Training Center and at competitions, including the London Olympics in 2012, ABC News reported.

The suit claims USOC members, “were aware, at the highest levels of its organization, that Defendant Nassar had molested Olympic and National Team level gymnasts who participated with Defendant USAG,” ESPN reported.

>>Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman delivers victim statement against Larry Nassar

Neither the USOC or USA Gymnastics have responded to media requests.

Raisman announced in November that she and 124 other women filed police reports against Nassar stemming back to September 2016. More than 260 criminal complaints and more than 200 civil suits have been filed against him, ESPN reported.

>>Former USA gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar sentenced to 60 years for child pornography

Nassar pleaded guilty to federal child porn charges and 10 counts of criminal sexual conduct. He was sentenced to 60 years behind bars on the child porn charges and 300 years in prison on the criminal sexual charges, which will go into effect after his federal sentence, ESPN reported. He’s technically not eligible for parole until 2117. 

Warriors’ Stephen Curry tees off on hotel room

Stephen Curry may love golf, but one hotel is going to be teed off.

>> Read more trending news

The Golden State Warriors’ All-Star posted a photo on Instagram of his hotel during a recent road trip. Shattered glass was scattered across a table and on the floor, apparently courtesy of Curry’s golf swing, ESPN reported.

“When you feel like you’re on the @pgatour so you gotta get some swings going in the hotel room,” Curry wrote, finishing the post with the hashtag #idiot.

Curry competed in a Tour event last year on a sponsor’s invitation, shooting back-to-back rounds of 74 at the Ellie Mae Classic, ESPN reported.

The Warriors were off Thursday and play in Atlanta on Friday night. It was not immediately clear what hotel was damaged, ESPN reported. The Warriors are in the middle of a three-game road trip.

It’s a good bet, however, that Curry will be receiving a bill from a hotel soon.

Texas college baseball coach fired after email to recruit about Colorado’s drug policies

A Texas college baseball coach and former major-leaguer was fired Thursday, partially because of comments he made about players from Colorado in an email to a potential recruit, the Star-Telegram reported.

>> Read more trending news

Mike Jeffcoat, who pitched in the majors from 1983 to 1994, was dismissed as Texas Wesleyan’s coach Thursday morning, university president Frederick Slabach announced at a news conference.

Jeffcoat, in an email to 18-year-old Gavin Bell of Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora, Colorado, cited that state’s politicians and its marijuana policies as reasons not to recruit players from the Centennial State, the Denver Post reported.

“Thanks for the interest in our program,” wrote Jeffcoat, 58, who has been Texas Wesleyan’s coach since 2002. “Unfortunately, we are not recruiting players from the state of Colorado. In the past, players have had trouble passing our drug test. We have made a decision to not take a chance on Student-athletes from your state. You can thank your liberal politicians. Best of Luck wherever you decide to play.”

A screenshot of the email was tweeted out Wednesday afternoon by a Denver radio host.

That email, and violations of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics rules regarding player eligibility, were the reasons for Jeffcoat’s firing. Slabach said. The school had been investigating the rule violations for about a week and reported them to the NAIA on Thursday, the Post reported.

“Mike Jeffcoat is no longer an employee of Texas Wesleyan University,” Slabach said at the news conference. “He was separated from the university due to the discriminatory remarks contained in the email to a potential recruit from the state of Colorado, and for another factor that we have been investigating for the past week.”

Bell told KCNC, that he "didn't know what to think" when he received Jeffcoat’s email.

"What does it have to do with anything with me playing baseball because of past encounters and not taking a chance with me?" Bell told KCNC.

During Thursday’s news conference Thursday, Slabach said the university, located in Fort Worth, “would love to have Gavin here as a student."

Since sales of recreational marijuana became legal in Colorado in 2014, Wesleyan has had only one other player from the Centennial State on its baseball roster, Eaglecrest graduate Aidan Laurini, the Post reported.

"My intention really wasn't to do anything to hurt anybody or get anybody fired," Bell told KCNC. "It was just me talking to my coaches and my loved ones about what do I do with this."

Jeffcoat had a 25-26 record over 255 games with the Texas Rangers, Cleveland Indians, San Francisco Giants and Florida Marlins.

Pizza Hut replaces Papa John’s as ‘pizza of the NFL’

Pizza Hut is replacing Papa John’s as a sponsor of the National Football League. CNBC reported that the Yum! Brands subsidiary was announced as the official pizza sponsor of the NFL Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news 

The news comes a day after Papa John’s and the NFL mutually decided to end their relationship. Papa John’s was the official pizza of the league since 2010. 

“The NFL and Papa John's have made a mutual decision to shift from their official league sponsorship to a focus on partnerships with 22 local NFL teams, presence in broadcast and digital media, and key personalities in the sport,” the league and company said in a joint statement Tuesday, according to ESPN.

In 2017, the brand drew controversy when its former CEO, founder John Schnatter, blamed slow pizza sales on protests from NFL players during an earnings call in November. 

Related: Papa John’s CEO apologizes for comments on NFL anthem protest controversy

“The NFL has hurt us by not resolving the current debacle to the players’ and owners’ satisfaction,” Schnatter said, according to reports. “NFL leadership has hurt Papa John’s shareholders.”

Schnatter and Papa John’s apologized for the comments weeks later, but damage was already done.

Related: John Schnatter stepping down as Papa John’s CEO

Pizza Hut now has a multiyear agreement with the league, starting with the 2018 season.

“We know many of our fans enjoy pizza while watching NFL games and we are thrilled to have Pizza Hut, an industry leader and one of America's favorite brands, as an official league sponsor,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Wednesday. “With a focus on family, friends and fun, Pizza Hut has the creativity we are looking for in a partner and we look forward to working together with them to make the at-home NFL experience more exciting than ever for our fans.”

“The opportunity to align in an official capacity with the NFL is a tremendous opening for a brand and product that is so neatly aligned with the football-watching occasion like pizza and Pizza Hut,” Andy Rosen, Pizza Hut franchise owner and Franchise Board of Directors Chairman said in a news release. “Our system is aligned behind and thrilled about this partnership. No one better understands the essence of Pizza Hut, including our consumers, than our group of owners and team members.”

Pizza Hut will make its partnership debut during the 2018 NFL Draft in Dallas, Texas.

Stoneman Douglas hockey team wins state championship

The ice hockey team at Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School won a state title Sunday, 11 days after a gunman killed 14 students and three teachers at the school.

>> Read more trending news

Stoneman Douglas senior Joey Zenobi told WBBH-TV that the team was playing for the victims of the Valentine’s Day shooting.

“We came into the game knowing we had to give it our all to get the win, and that’s what we did,” Zenobi told the news station. “This wasn’t for us, this was for the 17 victims. We played for them.”

>> Related: Florida school shooting: What we know about the victims

Some team members dyed their hair yellow in honor of Joaquin Oliver, a friend of theirs who died in the Feb. 14 mass shooting.

“We almost didn’t even come here, because we didn’t know if we wanted to play or not,” senior Ronnie Froetschel told WBBH-TV. “I’m just glad to be alive.”

>> Related: Florida school shooting survivors return to campus, try to resume normalcy

The fourth-seeded Eagles upset top-seeded East Lake High School in an elimination game Sunday before routing Tampa’s Jesuit High School 7-4 later in the day to win the Lightning High School Hockey League Tier 1 state title, according to ESPN.

Officials with Jesuit High School congratulated the Stoneman Douglas team on Twitter after the win.

“The SD players endured unimaginable tragedy at their school, and now they will bring a state title back to their grieving community,” school officials said.

Stoneman Douglas senior Matthew Horowitz told WBBH-TV that the team was awarded 17 medals, one for each player on the ice. He said the team plans to bring the medals back to the school to honor each of the 17 shooting victims.

The ice hockey league is sponsored by Statewide Amateur Hockey of Florida, according to ESPN.

Ronda Rousey 'slapped' during WWE appearance

You just know that the WWE tries to cover every angle in order to generate heat among its legion of professional wrestling fans.

>> Read more trending news

Thanks to Kurt Angle, the storyline about former UFC champion Ronda Rousey has already been raised a notch, the New Zealand Herald reported.

Rousey, the former UFC bantamweight champion, made a dramatic return in the WWE’s Elimination Chamber event in Las Vegas on Sunday night. She came into the ring during the pay-per-view event to sign her contract with the WWE. 

After some polarizing comments by Angle, Rousey produced a viral moment when she capped her contract signing by piledriving WWE chief executive Triple H through a table, CBS Sports reported. That resulted in what was called an “unscripted” slap of Rousey by WWE deputy commissioner Stephanie McMahon, who is Triple H’s wife.

Was it really unscripted? One never knows in pro wrestling.

The celebration of Rousey started innocently enough. She took the microphone from McMahon and was near tears as the Vegas crowd chanted her name, the Herald reported. Triple H added some praise for Rousey and invited her to sign her deal on live television.

Then Angle, the general manager of Raw, interrupted the feelgood moment by sharing alleged backstage comments by Triple H -- “Three years in the making and now we own (her)” -- and McMahon (“Ronda is a has-been, and I could take her.”), CBS Sports reported.

Rousey stared down Triple H before delivering the piledriver, and then after taking the slap from McMahon, signed the contract and dropped it onto Triple H’s body, CBS Sports reported.

That will guarantee that Rousey will participate in WrestleMania 34 on April 8 in New Orleans, probably in a mixed tag-team match, CBS Sports reported. 

That angle should bring plenty of heat.

Parkland shooting victim buried in Dwyane Wade jersey; Heat star gets emotional

Dwyane Wade had an emotional reaction after learning that one of the 17 people killed in the Parkland school shooting on Feb. 14 was buried wearing the jersey of the Miami Heat star.

>> Read more trending news

“You’re about to make me cry this afternoon,” Wade tweeted Sunday, hours after Joaquin Oliver’s parents said on the Univision show Al Punto that their 17-year-old son was buried wearing his favorite player’s jersey.

Oliver was one of 17 killed during the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. During Oliver’s memorial service on Feb. 17, the officiant said that the teen was excited for Wade’s return to the Heat, the Miami Herald reported.

Saturday, Wade and the Heat returned to South Florida for the first time since the shooting. Before the game against Memphis, the team held a pregame tribute at midcourt, the Herald reported. Players and coaches held a Stoneman Douglas flag, and the scoreboard played a tribute video, the newspaper reported.

Olympian Gus Kenworthy criticizes Ivanka Trump during closing ceremony

U.S. Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy had less-than-kind words for one of his fellow Americans at the closing ceremony for 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

>> PHOTOS: 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics - Closing Ceremony

“So proud of all these people!” he said after sharing a picture. “Everybody here has worked so hard to make it to the Olympics and have the opportunity to walk in the closing ceremony!”

>> See the tweet here

“Well… Everyone except Ivanka,” he continued, mentioning the first daughter. “Honestly, tf is she doing here??”

>> Read more trending news 

Ivanka Trump, President Donald Trump's daughter, led the presidential delegation in the closing ceremonies. Vice President Mike Pence appeared at the beginning of the Olympics to lead the presidential delegation in the opening ceremonies. Pence made headlines when he sat down for the Korean delegation, which included athletes from both North and South Korea.

Many criticized Kenworthy’s shot.

Others made political jokes at Ivanka Trump’s expense.

Chipper Jones: No need for civilians to own assault rifles

Chipper Jones was 5 or 6 years old when his father taught him how to shoot a gun, this coming before he had even played his first game of Little League baseball. He grew up loving one as much as the other, becoming not only a Hall of Fame player for the Atlanta Braves but an avid outdoorsman.

>> Ivanka Trump: 'I don't know' if teachers should be armed

Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist Jeff Schultz approached Jones about his views on gun violence after years of deadly school shootings, most recently at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the south Florida town of Parkland, where police say a former student armed with an AR-15 killed 17 people.

>> Florida school shooting survivor's mother says her family has received death threats

Jones said he has a real problem with the AR-15, the weapon used in at least 10 mass shootings. Jones believes the AR-15 and all similar assault weapons should be banned from public sale to civilians.

“I believe in our Constitutional right to bear arms and protect ourselves,” Jones said. “But I do not believe there is any need for civilians to own assault rifles. I just don’t.

>> Read more trending news 

“I would like to see something (new legislation) happen. I liken it to drugs – you’re not going to get rid of all the guns. But AR-15s and AK-47s and all this kind of stuff – they belong in the hands of soldiers. Those belong in the hands of people who know how to operate them, and whose lives depend on them operating them. Not with civilians. I have no problem with hunting rifles and shotguns and pistols and what-not. But I’m totally against civilians having those kinds of automatic and semi-automatic weapons.”

>> Read the full column on

Texas transgender wrestler wins second straight state title 

A transgender wrestler from Texas successfully defended his Class 6A girls championship Saturday night, WFAA reported

>> Read more trending news

Mack Beggs, from Euless Trinity near Dallas, improved to 36-0, capping his season with a 15-3 victory against Chelsea Sanchez of Morton Ranch High school. Beggs, 18, also defeated Sanchez last season in the 110-pound division, WFAA reported.

Last year, a parent filed a lawsuit to prevent Beggs from wrestling in the female division.

Beggs began transitioning from female to male a few years ago by using testosterone, which was the reason the lawsuit was filed, WFAA reported. But according to the Texas University Interscholastic League, it is not a banned substance since it comes from a physician.

>> Transgender wrestler will defend state title in Texas

A state law passed in 2016 says that athletes must compete as the gender listed on their birth certificates, WFAA reported.. 

Marco Karem, Beggs’ father, told WFAA that his son’s achievement was an inspiration.“He inspires a lot of people, and if he can help just one person -- then it’s worth it to Mack,” Karem said.

Mack Beggs heard several boos and jeers during the state final but shrugged it off, WFAA reported.

"I don't care, I gave my all in that match," he said. "You put me in front of anybody and I'll wrestle them.

"Each time I read comments, they all say the same thing about steroids. It all comes down to technique and who has the most heart."

Beggs is considering a men’s wrestling scholarship in college and is hoping to schedule a time for his “top surgery” by a doctor in Plano, The Dallas Morning News reported. 

He also wants to train for the Olympics. Both the NCAA and the Olympics have rules in place that allow athletes to compete as the gender they identify with, WFAA reported. 

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >