Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative

world

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

North Korean officials reach out to Republicans for help understanding Trump: report

North Korean officials are reaching out to Republican-linked analysts in an attempt to better understand President Donald Trump, according to a report published Tuesday by The Washington Post.

>> Read more trending news

The effort began before Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jung Un started trading fiery rhetoric in the wake of the Hermit Kingdom’s repeated missile tests, the Post reported.

“Their number one concern is Trump,” a source, who was not identified, told the newspaper. “They can’t figure him out.”

The Post reported that at least seven invitations have been extended to Washington-based analysts, including Douglas Paal, an expert on Asia who served on the National Security Council under presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Paal, who is currently vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, told the Post that he declined North Korea’s request to arrange talks between its officials and “American experts with Republican ties.”

Read more from The Washington Post

“The North Koreans are clearly eager to deliver a message,” Paal said, adding that North Korean officials wanted the meeting to take place in a neutral location, such as Switzerland. “But I think they’re only interested in getting out of the country for a bit.”

Man charged after being caught train surfing

We’ve seen something similar in comic book movies, but this was real life when a 23-year-old man, literally caught a train.

The man, who was not identified, was seen train surfing on the Joondalup line over the weekend, in Perth, Australia, Perth Now reported.

>> Read more trending news

The man jumped on the back of the train at the Leederville Station Saturday afternoon.

He clung to a windscreen as the train reached speeds of almost 68 mph, Perth Now reported.

He eventually made his way to the carriage when it made it to Glendalough Station. He was arrested at Stirling Station, charged with trespassing.

Trump's latest statement 'a declaration of war,' North Korean foreign minister says

North Korea's foreign minister on Monday told reporters that President Donald Trump has issued "a declaration of war" against the Hermit Kingdom in the president’s most recent statements on the country.

>> Read more trending news

However, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders insisted at a news briefing on Monday that no declaration had been made.

“We’ve not declared war on North Korea, and frankly the suggestion of that is absurd,” she said.

On Saturday, Trump said that North Korea "won't be around much longer" if it continues to threaten the United States.

 

Who is Anthony Weiner?

Updated Sept. 25, 2017: Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday, to 21 months in prison for “sexting” a 15-year-old girl. 

The Chicago Tribune reported that Weiner dropped his head into his hand as he stood in court when the sentence was announced. 

Prosecutors had been seeking a 21 to 27-month sentence. 

Previous post: 

FBI sources said Friday that new emails, which “appear be pertinent” to the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, were discovered during an investigation into allegations of sexting with a minor made against former Congressman Anthony Weiner.

The FBI is investigating Weiner, who is the estranged husband of Clinton’s longtime aide Huma Abedin, on charges he sent illicit texts to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina.

It’s not the first time Weiner has been the center of a “sexting” scandal.

FBI director James B. Comey informed members of Congress on Friday via a letter that emails had surfaced in a case that “appear to be pertinent to the investigation” of Clinton's use of a private email server.

According to the New York Times, the e-mails were contained on four electronic devices seized from Weiner and Abedin, and it was those emails that led the FBI to re-open its investigation into Hillary Clinton.

So who is Anthony Weiner and what are his connections to Bill and Hillary Clinton? Here’s what we know about him.

  • Weiner was born and raised in New York City. He served the New York's 9th congressional district from January 1999 until June 2011, when he resigned after a sexting scandal was made public.
  • Weiner is married, but separated from, Hillary Clinton’s top aide, Abedin. The couple were married in July 2010 by former President Bill Clinton. Their reception was held at the Clinton’s home.
  • The couple has a 4-year-old son.
  • Weiner resigned as a New York congressman in 2011 after he sent photos of himself, clad only in underwear, to 40,000 Twitter followers, when he was trying to send the photo to a woman. That was the first of his sexting scandals.

Here is a look at all of his known sexting incidents.

May 31, 2011

Weiner accidentally posted a photo of himself clad only in his underwear to 40,000 Twitter followers instead of the 21-year-old woman he intended the photo to go to. The woman, Gennette Cordova, said she had never met Weiner. Weiner said his Twitter account was hacked and that he did not send the photo.

June 6, 2011

Days later, Weiner recanted his hacking story and admitted he sent the photo. He said he had sexted with six women over a three-year period. “I have done things I deeply regret. I apologize to my wife and our families. I’m deeply ashamed,” Weiner said.

June 11, 2011

Five days later, amid calls for him to resign, Weiner took a leave of absence from Congress to “seek professional treatment.”

June 16, 2011

Weiner announced his resignation from Congress.

July 23, 2013

Weiner again admits that he has been sexting was a woman as he is in the middle of a campaign for mayor of New York.

July 26, 2013

Some reports say Weiner’s wife, Abedin, is considering leaving him. Weiner loses the election.

May 20, 2016

The documentary “Weiner” is released. It shows the couple in some of their worst moments during the mayoral campaign, including when one of the women he sexted shows up at a campaign event.

Aug. 28, 2016

A photo of Weiner on a bed with his sleeping son by his side is published on the front of the New York Post. Weiner again is clad only in underwear. The story says he was sexting with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl at the time. According to the story, Weiner had referred to his son as a “chick magnet.”

Abedin announces the next day that she and Weiner are separating.

In the week after the latest revelation, a child-welfare agency announced its investigating Weiner after it was revealed that he sexted explicit photos of himself that also showed his 4-year-old asleep next to him.

Meghan Markle supports Prince Harry at Invictus Games

Prince Harry’s girlfriend Meghan Markle attended Saturday’s opening ceremony of the prince’s Invictus Games for injured military service members. Markle was seen in the stands at the Air Canada Center in Toronto, but she was not sitting next to Harry.

>> Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: A relationship timeline

During the ceremony, the prince told the audience he wanted the world to be inspired “by the spirit of those who wear the uniform.”

There had been speculation that the event would mark the first official public appearance of Prince Harry, 33, and Markle, 36, as a couple.

>> On Rare.us: Prince Harry’s surprise meeting at the Invictus Games had the internet buzzing

The actress, who lives in the host city, smiled and applauded as the competitors arrived in the stadium. Markle recently spoke about her relationship with the prince to Vanity Fair magazine. “We’re two people who are really happy and in love,” the 36-year-old said.

>> Read more trending news

As People reports, the prince was sitting in a separate VIP area next to first lady Melania Trump and near Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Trump administration announces new travel ban: 'The tougher, the better'

The Trump administration late Sunday announced it is replacing its travel ban with a new proclamation barring visitors from eight countries, saying those nations are not doing enough to block terrorists from reaching the United States. 

>> On AJC.com: Dishwasher to Doctor: Syrian refugee achieves American dream. Now he helps others do the same.

The new directive continues existing restrictions against Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. And it adds new ones for Chad, North Korea and Venezuela starting Oct. 18 and remaining in place indefinitely until the countries toughen their security procedures. Venezuela’s restrictions narrowly apply to that nation’s government officials – and their immediate relatives – who are responsible for traveler screening procedures.

>> On AJC.com: From March: Trump travel ban again targets refugees 

“The travel ban: The tougher, the better,” President Donald Trump told reporters in Washington on Sunday. 

The first version of Trump’s travel ban — announced in January — sowed widespread confusion, triggered angry demonstrations in Atlanta and across the nation and ultimately stalled amid constitutional challenges. Trump replaced it in March with an order barring visitors from six Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

>> On MyAJC.com: From June: U.S. Supreme Court reinstates key parts of Trump’s travel ban

It also halted this nation’s refugee resettlement program. Senior administration officials said Sunday they would announce plans for next fiscal year’s refugee resettlements in the coming days.

Like his original travel ban, Trump’s March 6 order drew court challenges. Trump has cast his travel restrictions as efforts to block terrorist attacks, while his critics say they are driven by discrimination. The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments about it on Oct. 10. 

>> On MyAJC.com: From June: Travel ban begins as guidelines draw fire

Walt Wallace — a traveler from Richmond, Virginia, who was traveling through Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Sunday — said he understood the security issues involved in the travel ban. But he also said he was concerned about the impact on "people who are legitimately trying to come here... escaping persecution."

>> Read more trending news

Edward Ahmed Mitchell, executive director of Georgia chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said Friday his organization might send attorneys to the airport. Mitchell added his organization will be watching to see if the restrictions are "motivated by legitimate concerns about national security, or are they motivated by anti-Muslim bigotry." 

"If the order only impacts people who do not already have visas to travel here, then nobody should be caught up at the airport," Mitchell said. But "if the order affects those already in transit like the first order did, then chaos could erupt and we'd need our attorneys at the airport."

Mexico earthquake: 'Frida Sofia,' girl supposedly trapped in rubble, never existed, officials say

As rescue workers tirelessly searched and the world waited breathlessly for them to find a 12-year-old girl believed to be trapped under the rubble of a caved-in school toppled by the devastating earthquake in Mexico City, it became apparent that the little girl never existed, Mexican officials said.

>> PHOTOS: Major earthquake strikes Mexico City

According to the New York Post, the girl, called “Frida Sofia,” was a case of a story that ran wild in the frantic aftermath of the disaster.

>> How you can help Mexico and people affected by the Mexico earthquake

“We are certain that it was not an actuality,” Adm. Angel Enrique Sarmiento, assistant secretary of the Mexican navy, told local paper El Universal. “We don’t have any knowledge, we never had any knowledge of the account.”

>> Frida, the hero rescue dog, saves 12 following Mexico earthquake

In the face of unimaginable destruction and hundreds killed, the story took on a life of its own as a symbol of much-needed help. A report first surfaced Wednesday that a little girl had signaled to rescuers from under the rubble of the Enrique Rebsámen school.

>> On Rare.us: A family is devastated after this baptism turned tragic during the Mexican earthquake

From that report came a series of details that included the girl’s name and age, and even reports of communication with the girl. Rescuers said they managed to slide a hose to her for her to drink, and other workers told MSNBC that they handed the little girl a phone and that she reported two other children were trapped with her under a granite table.

>> On Rare.us: Salma Hayek generously pledges $100,000 to Mexican earthquake victims

However, no parents came to claim the girl, which led some to believe she was misidentified. And, then Thursday, Sarmiento announced that after 11 children had been rescued, and 19 other children, plus six adults found dead, there were no other children beneath the collapsed school.

>> Read more trending news

“We have carried out a full count with the directors of the school, and we are sure that all the children are either safe at home, in the hospital or, unfortunately, died,” Sarmiento said.

Iran tests new ballistic missile

Iran tested a new ballistic missile that reportedly is capable of carrying multiple warheads, CNN reported Saturday, citing the nation's state-run broadcaster announced.

>> Read more trending news

“Iran has released footage of the successful test-launch of its new ballistic missile, Khorramshahr, a few hours after it was unveiled during a military parade in the capital city of Tehran,” Press TV said.

“The Khorramshahr missile has become smaller in size and more tactical and it will be operational in the near future.”

The missile was launched from an unknown location, CNN reported.

Called the Khorramshahr missile, the weapon has a range of 1,250 miles and can carry multiple warheads, according to Press TV. That would make it capable of reaching Israel and Saudi Arabia, CNN reported.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Friday that the country would press ahead with strengthening its missile capabilities and military defenses, Press TV reported.

“We will promote our defensive and military power as much as we deem necessary," Rouhani said. “We seek no one's permission to defend our land.”

“Whether you like it or not we are going to help Syria, Yemen, and Palestine, and we will strengthen our missiles.”

Uber stripped of London license

London stripped Uber on Friday of its license to operate beginning at the end of September, a move that will affect more than 40,000 drivers in one of the world’s biggest cities, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Regulator Transport for London (TfL) said Uber’s conduct posed risks to public safety and it would not renew its license when it expires on Sept. 30. Uber has 21 days to appeal and can continue to operate until the appeal process has finished, Reuters reported.“Uber’s approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility in relation to a number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications,” TfL said.Uber said in a statement that it would "immediately challenge this [decision] in the courts," CNN reported.

It can continue to operate while it appeals.

London mayor Sadiq Khan said he "fully supports" the decision, CNN reported.

"All companies in London must play by the rules and adhere to the high standards we expect -- particularly when it comes to the safety of customers," he said in a statement. "Providing an innovative service must not be at the expense of customer safety and security."

 

L'Oréal heiress, world’s wealthiest woman, dies at 94

Liliane Bettencourt, heiress to the L'Oréal cosmetics dynasty ranked as the world’s richest woman, died Wednesday, NPR reported. She was 94.

>> Read more trending news

In March, Forbes placed Bettencourt’s net worth at $39.5 billion. Bettencourt and her family were the largest stakeholders of L'Oréal, owning 33.1 percent of the company, the Financial Times reported.

Bettencourt's daughter, Francoise Bettencourt-Meyers, confirmed the death in a statement to French media, saying her mother died "peacefully" at her home in France.

Bettencourt's father, Eugene Schueller, founded L'Oréal in 1909. The chemist created and patented a hair dye that helped launch the company into an international multibillion-dollar powerhouse. Upon his death in 1957, he left his daughter controlling interest in L'Oréal, The New York Times reported.

Bettencourt served as board director until stepping down in 2012 when she was replaced by her then-25-year-old grandson, Jean-Victor Meyers.

"We all had a great admiration for Liliane Bettencourt who always looked after L'Oréal, the company and its employees, and was very attached to its success and development," Jean Paul Agon, chairman and CEO of L'Oréal Group, said in a statement. "She has personally contributed greatly to its success for many years."

Bettencourt's past included a long-standing family controversy that spilled into French politics, known as l'affaire Bettencourt, NPR reported. The scandal not only titillated French media but may have resulted in Nicolas Sarkozy's losing the presidency.

In 2007, Bettencourt-Meyers, an only child, filed a criminal suit, accusing her mother's friend François-Marie Banier of taking advantage of an elderly woman not in full control of her faculties. Bettencourt had given Banier some billion dollars' worth of gifts, and he had reportedly suggested that she adopt him.

Banier and several others, including business associates and lawyers, were all found guilty of exploiting Bettencourt, who the French court said was suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Banier was sentenced to prison and fined.

Secretly recorded tapes and accusations by a disgruntled employee implicated Sarkozy as benefiting from Bettencourt's “largesse,” NPR reported.

Sarkozy denied any wrongdoing, but was tainted by the scandal and was defeated by François Hollande in 2012.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >