Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative

celebrity news

200 items
Results 61 - 70 of 200 < previous next >

Ann Curry ‘still processing’ Matt Lauer’s firing from ‘Today’ show

Ann Curry says she is processing the news that her former “Today” co-anchor Matt Lauer was fired from the morning news show following an allegation of inappropriate sexual behavior.

In a previously scheduled interview with People, the journalist declined to specifically comment on Lauer’s termination. 

“I’m still really processing it,” she said.

>> Read more trending news

Lauer was fired over allegations of inappropriate workplace behavior early Wednesday following a Monday night complaint from a colleague. The detailed complaint said that inappropriate sexual behavior occurred at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Current co-anchors Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb announced Lauer’s firing on “Today” Wednesday. 

Related: Matt Lauer firing has people wondering what Tamron Hall, Ann Curry are up to

NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack sent a memo to employees with the announcement.

“While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over 20 years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.”

Rather than respond directly to news on Lauer, Curry, who left the morning show in 2012 after being promoted to Lauer’s co-anchor, spoke about workplace safety for women.

“The women’s movement got us into the workplace, but it didn’t make us safe once we got there and the battle lines are now clear,” she said. “We need to move this revolution forward and make our workplaces safe. Corporate America is quite clearly failing to do so, and unless it does something to change that, we need to keep doing more ourselves.”

“I admire the women who have been willing to speak up both anonymously and on the record,” she continued. “Those women need to keep their jobs, and all women need to be able to work, to be able to thrive, without fear. This kind of behavior exists across industries, and it is so long overdue for it to stop. This is a moment when we all need to be a beacon of light for those women, for all women, and for ourselves.”

Matt Lauer firing has people wondering what Tamron Hall, Ann Curry are up to

It didn’t take long after the news that “Today” co-host Matt Lauer was fired following allegations of inappropriate workplace behavior for two former hosts to be mentioned as possible replacements.

Ann Curry was ousted from the morning show in 2012, a move many viewers thought was done to appease Lauer. When Tamron Hall left the show earlier this year after it was announced the third hour she co-hosted would be replaced with “Megyn Kelly Today,” many viewers were upset.

>> Read more trending news

So when bombshell news of Lauer’s firing emerged Wednesday morning, a number of morning show viewers immediately thought of Curry and Hall -- so much so that “Somewhere Ann Curry” began trending nationally on Twitter.

Hall has not commented on any thing related to “Today” since her departure. On Wednesday, about an hour after the news broke that Lauer was fired, she tweeted a photo of herself with singer-songwriter Angelique Kidjo.

Related: ‘Today Show’ hour with Al Roker, Tamron Hall may move for Megyn Kelly, reports say

“About last night. We celebrated @angeliquekidjo and her work to help empower African girls . #batonga #blessed to be friends with this global icon,” the tweet read.

Like Hall, Curry has remained largely silent in the five years since her exit.

Related video: What You Need to Know: Matt Lauer

Katie Couric once said Matt Lauer had habit of touching her inappropriately

Amid allegations made against other high-profile men in media, Matt Lauer has been accused of inappropriate sexual behavior.

While NBC executives have said it was the first complaint against Lauer in his 20 years as an anchor on the “Today” show, it seems Lauer’s questionable behavior was always hiding in plain sight. 

>> Read more trending news

Katie Couric, Lauer’s former co-host, stated plainly on a 2012 episode of Bravo TV’s “Watch What Happens Live” that Lauer had a bad habit of getting handsy with her.

TMZ reported that during the show segment called “Plead the Fifth,” host Andy Cohen asked Couric to reveal Lauer’s most annoying habit. 

“He pinches me on the (butt) a lot,” Couric said.

At the time, the Huffington Post appeared to be the only news outlet to report Couric’s comments made on live television.

Related: Twitter reacts to Matt Lauer firing: Trump rejoices, colleagues dismayed

On Wednesday, Lauer, 59, was fired. NBC News chairman Andrew Lack issued a memo to employees saying that a complaint filed earlier this week led to a review of Lauer’s behavior and that the results represented a “clear violation of our company's standards.”

In recent years, despite a decrease in his likeability rating among viewers, Lauer had one of the most lucrative contracts in morning television, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

President Trump gloats after Matt Lauer fired

It’s a somber day on “The Today Show” for Matt Lauer’s shocked co-hosts after he was abruptly terminated after more than 20 years over allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct – but President Donald Trump is taking to Twitter commenting on it.

Official reports have specified few details.

>> Read more trending news

“On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment,” the show said in a statement.

MORE: What we know about the ex-Atlanta woman who tried to plant fake Roy Moore tip

The interview Matt Lauer conducted with Ryan Lochte after Olympic antics

Will #MeToo movement lead to lasting change?

Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb took their usual spots with nothing like their usual lighthearted banter.

“Right now we do not know more than what I just shared with you,” Guthrie said after she read the entire statement. “I’m heartbroken.”

Her voice sounding shaky, Guthrie said she felt for both Lauer, her longtime friend and colleague, and the person who lodged the complaint.

Trump was less nuanced in his response:

Twitter reacts to Matt Lauer firing: Trump rejoices, colleagues dismayed

Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2017 by RODNEY HO/rho@ajc.com on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog

While sexual misconduct crosses party lines, reaction to news of Matt Lauer’s firing over “inappropriate sexual behavior” became political almost from the moment the news came out this morning, starting from the top.

At 7:16 a.m., Donald Trump tweeted with: “Wow, Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC for “inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.” But when will the top executives at NBC & Comcast be fired for putting out so much Fake News. Check out Andy Lack’s past!”

>> Read more trending news 

Lack is NBC News chairman and Comcast owns NBC.

Ana Navarro, a contributor for CNN, ABC and Telemundo, wrote on Twitter that Trump is still president despite multiple sexual allegations against him while plenty of others have lost their jobs:

Variety reporter Elizabeth Wagmeister wrote on Twitter that she and Ramin Setoodeh have been working on a story about “far ranging accusations” against Lauer from multiple women for months. “The power of journalism has never been more evident with this cultural change,” she wrote, acknowledging how quickly men in multiple industries have lost their jobs soon after such accusations became public, starting with former movie mogul Harvey Weinstein last month.

And Keith Whitney, a reporter who had been based in Atlanta, posted on Twitter that rumors about Lauer have been floating around for a decade.

And while tabloids don’t always get it right, InTouch Weekly wrote about Lauer’s possible firing on its cover a few weeks ago:

At 9 a.m., Lauer’s former colleague Megyn Kelly said this: “Matt has been kind and supportive to me in my transition to NBC News. I see the anguish on my colleagues’ faces. But what we don’t see, is the pain on the faces of those who had the courage to come forward.”

Jennifer Hudson’s ex David Otunga wins primary custody of their son

Jennifer Hudson’s split from David Otunga’s has taken another dramatic turn. The singer’s estranged fiance has been granted primary custody over the pair’s 8 year old son, David Jr., according to TMZ.

The Academy Award winner, 36, and her former long-time fiance have reached a temporary agreement regarding their son’s role in the separation. The contract gives the former WWE wrestler custody over the 8 year old for the majority of the time as Hudson is currently residing in London while working as a judge on the U.K. version of “The Voice,” and regularly travels back and forth to Los Angeles for the U.S. version.

Hudson has also dropped the emergency order of protection she filed against him, The Blast reported. The website claims that Hudson voluntarily opted to remove the emergency protection order as long as Otunga agreed to never return to his ex’s home.

“This wasn’t a victory for David,” an unnamed source told People. “Jennifer dropped the order so they could remove the matter from the courtroom and work together to do what is best for their child.”

Hudson initially filed the restraining order after claiming that Otunga, 37, had been aggressive and threatening toward her in front of their child, which People confirmed with a statement from Hudson’s representative.

“They have been in the process of ending their relationship for a number of months,” the statement said. “Today, Jennifer requested and received a protective order against her ex-fiance. Jennifer’s actions are solely taken in the best interest of their son.”

In a statement to the publication, Ortunga’s attorney denied any abuse allegations.

“Mr. Otunga has never abused or harassed Ms. Hudson or their son, and it is unfortunate, especially in today’s climate, that she would feel the need to make these false allegations against him. Mr. Otunga looks forward to his day in court and in being awarded the residential care of the parties’ only child,” the statement read.

TMZ reported that Otunga’s attorney, Tracy Rizzo also stated, “As a result of Mr. Otunga’s career in the WWE, Ms. Hudson felt that she could give an award winning performance in court to portray herself as the victim.”

The couple were engaged in September 2008 after nearly a year of dating. Their son was born in August 2009. The engagement news came just before Hudson’s mother, Darnell Donerson, and her brother Jason Hudson were found dead of gunshot wounds in a Chicago home. Her 7-year-old nephew was also found dead. Her former brother-in-law William Balfour was convicted of the murders in 2012.

5 things to know about Matt Lauer

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC’s “Today” show after one of his colleagues complained that the 59-year-old television journalist engaged in inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace, network officials announced Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

In a memo sent to staff, NBC News chairman Andy Lack said the allegation was the first made against Lauer in his more than 20 years at NBC News. However, Lack said company officials “were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.”

Here are five things to know about Lauer:

Lauer was born in New York City on Dec. 30, 1957.

Lauer’s father, Robert, was an executive for a bicycle company while his mother, Marylyn, was a homemaker, according to a report from People magazine.

>> Related: Here’s how 'TODAY' addressed the news of Matt Lauer’s firing from the show

He has one sister, April Lauer Stone.

Lauer attended Ohio University.

He left the school without his degree when the last class he needed wasn’t offered in the spring of 1979, according to a 1997 Ohio University article. He returned nearly 20 years later to finish his degree.

Lauer began his journalism career in 1979.

He worked as a producer for WOWK in Huntington, West Virginia, according to Lauer’s “Today” show biography, which has been taken down since his firing. By 1989, he had moved on to hosting a three-hour interview program, “9 Broadcast Plaza” in New York. He hosted the show until 1991.

Lauer also hosted multiple weekly information and talk shows in Boston, Philadelphia, Providence and Richmond.

Lauer joined the “Today” show as a news anchor in 1994.

Lauer worked as co-anchor of WNBC’s early morning and early evening newscasts from September 1992 to September 1996, according to Lauer’s “Today” show biography.

He started appearing on the “Today” show as a substitute news anchor in 1993 and joined the show as a permanent news anchor in 1994. Three years later, he was made the show’s co-anchor.

Lauer married Dutch model Annette Roque in 1998.

The couple met on a blind date one year earlier, according to People magazine. It was the second marriage for Lauer, who was previously married to TV producer Nancy Alspaugh.

Lauer and Roque have three children, two sons and a daughter.

Billy Bush hospitalized after being hit on the head with a golf ball

Former “Today” anchor Billy Bush is recovering after reportedly being hit on the head by a golf ball.

>> Read more trending news

Bush was briefly hospitalized in Los Angeles following the accident and documented the entire ordeal for fans on Instagram. He even posed for a few selfies with Ceders-Sinai Medical Center employees. It is unclear if he had to spend a night in the hospital or was released after he received care.

“FORE!! Thanks nurse Katrina, jovi, Jenn, Mercy @cedarssinai for the bed, the care, the ice,” he wrote alongside a series of photos. “I think I dodged a bullet…but sadly not a golf ball. Scan is clear, let the jokes begin #putmedownforpar.”

>> See the post here

Bush was let go from “Today” in October 2016 after infamous tapes of the anchor with then-presidential candidate Donald Trump surfaced from a 2005 taping of “Access Hollywood.”

Following Bush’s departure, Matt Lauer addressed viewers during a taping of “Today.”

“NBC News announced last night that Billy Bush would be leaving the ‘Today’ show effective immediately, noting that he was a valued colleague and longtime member of the broader NBC family,” Lauer said at the time. “A statement Billy released separately last night read in part, ‘I look forward toward what lies ahead.’ Of course, all of us here at ‘Today’ wish Billy the very best.”

(H/T TMZ)

Actress Joan Collins denies son’s claims that ex husband was a pedophile

British actress Joan Collins disagrees with her son’s claims that his late father was a child molester.

>> Read more trending news

Collins’ son, Sacha Newley, recently said his father — Joan’s ex-husband Anthony Newley — was a pedophile. 

“My father was drawn to youthfulness, he thought innocence was an aphrodisiac,” the 52-year-old artist told The Sunday Times.

As an example of his father’s alleged proclivities, Sacha referenced one of Anthony’s movies, the 1969 X-rated musical film (Editor’s Note: This link may be NSFW) “Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?,” which starred Anthony as the titular Heironymus Merkin — an internationally known singer who recounts his promiscuous relationships with an adolescent named Mercy Humppe in front of his wife (played by Collins) and his two children (played by Sacha and Tara Newley).

“[That film was] a confession of pedophilia,” Sacha told The Times. He compared his father to director Roman Polanski and Polanski’s alleged rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1977. 

“Mercy Humppe is the ‘perfect childlover’ — an underage girl. [My dad] didn’t peg her age exactly, but it falls within the Polanski thing.”

>> Related: Angela Lansbury says 'Women must take some blame for sexual misconduct'

The film was so damaging, Sacha claimed, it lead to his parent’s messy divorce the following year. 

“My mother was destroyed by that film: it was the end of their marriage,” Sacha said. “My father was a great, flawed talent. He was a classic sex addict.”

In response, Collins appeared on the British daytime talk show “Good Morning Britain” to reject the allegations.

“I think that Sacha’s being extremely naive and not really knowing the meaning of that word because what Tony admittedly was, is he loved young women and young women of 17, 18, 19 years old. Not children by any means,” Collins said.

“Never in a million years would I have been married to somebody like that,” the 84-year-old actress said.

 

>> Related: Meghan Markle was once a 'briefcase girl' on 'Deal or No Deal'

“Categorically, I can say that it is not true, that I never saw any of that kind of behavior from Anthony,” she continued, before adding that the accusations have been “very” stressful for her.

The actress’s daughter, Tara Newley, also spoke out against her brother, saying she was “deeply upset” by the claims against their late father, The Independent reports.

“I was shocked by my brother’s comments in today’s papers.

>> Related: Dog the Bounty Hunter says wife Beth has no cancer

“From my end, I don’t recognize the man he is describing. I had an incredibly close relationship with my father and am deeply upset by these false allegations,” she said.

Anthony Newley died in 1999 at the age of 67 following a battle with cancer. He and Collins were married from 1963 – 1970.

Meghan Markle was once a 'briefcase girl' on game show 'Deal or No Deal'

British Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle announced their engagement Monday at Kensington Palace, and the world can’t seem to get enough of the couple.

>> Read more trending news

One thing you might know about Meghan Markle is her role as the paralegal Rachel Zane on the popular TV show “Suits,” but you might not know that Markle was once a “briefcase girl” on the Howie Mandel game show show “Deal or No Deal.”

>> Related: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to be married in May 2018

Little did this contestant know 11 years ago that he was looking at a future member of the British Royal Family. He picked lucky number 24 and then Howie Mandel said, “Meghan, open the case.”

Markle did comment about her time on “Deal of No Deal” in 2013 after turning into a star on the aforementioned show “Suits,” but she didn’t seem too proud of it.

“I would put that in the category of things I was doing while I was auditioning to try to make ends meet,” she said in an interview with Esquire, according to Metro. “I went from working in the US Embassy in Argentina to ending up on Deal. It’s run the gamut. Definitely working on Deal or No Deal was a learning experience, and it helped me to understand what I would rather be doing. So if that’s a way for me to gloss over that subject, then I will happily shift gears into something else.”

Times have certainly changed for Markle.

Now, she’s looking goofy on TV with a prince who proposed to her while roasting a chicken for her.

Oh, and Duchess Kate Middleton, who is going to be Markle’s sister-in-law, approves.

>> Related: Duchess Kate “absolutely thrilled” for Meghan and Harry

“William and I are absolutely thrilled,” the duchess said of the engagement. “It’s such exciting news. It’s a really happy time for any couple, and we wish them all the best and hope they enjoy this happy moment.”

200 items
Results 61 - 70 of 200 < previous next >