Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
97X
Last Song Played
Your New Alternative

celebrity news

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow add to Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment claims

Actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie on Tuesday joined the growing list of women who claim Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them.

>> Read more trending news

Paltrow told The New York Times that she was 22 when Weinstein put his hands on her during a private meeting in his hotel suite, where he ignored work and instead suggested they get massages in his bedroom. Paltrow told the newspaper that she was “a kid” and “petrified” by the powerful movie producer. Paltrow’s then-boyfriend Brad Pitt confirmed to the Times through a representative that he once confronted Weinstein and told him to never touch Paltrow again.

In an email to The New York Times, Jolie offered a similar tale.

>> Related: Meryl Streep slams Harvey Weinstein, calling sexual assault allegations ‘disgraceful’

“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie wrote. “This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”

Other actresses, such as Ashley Judd, Rosanna Arquette, Asia Argento and Rose McGowan, are among the many women who have alleged that Weinstein acted inappropriately toward them.

>> Related: 3 women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape: report

A piece in the New Yorker details how several women have accused Weinstein of rape. Writer Ronan Farrow detailed how Weinstein’s alleged behavior became an “open secret” in Hollywood.

“For more than 20 years, Weinstein has … been trailed by rumors of sexual harassment and assault,” Farrow wrote. “This has been an open secret to many in Hollywood and beyond, but previous attempts by many publications, including The New Yorker, to investigate and publish the story over the years fell short of the demands of journalistic evidence.”

In the days following the report in the New York Times, Weinstein was fired by the board of directors at his production company. The once-powerful film producer has said he will seek counseling.

3 women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape: report

Three women accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of forcing them into sexual acts in an expose published Tuesday -- accusations that the Hollywood giant denied in a statement through one of his representatives.

>> Read more trending news

The allegations came to light just days after The New York Times detailed complaints of sexual harassment spanning decades against the Miramax co-founder. Weinstein acknowledged the accusations in a statement to the newspaper last week and vowed to “deal with this issue head on.”

In a report published Tuesday by The New Yorker, former aspiring actress Lucia Evans, Italian actress Asia Argento and a woman who was not identified told the magazine that they were forced into sexual acts with Weinstein. Evans told the magazine that she was assaulted by Weinstein in 2004, while Argento said she was assaulted in 1997. The New Yorker did not say when the third alleged attack took place.

In a statement issued to The New Yorker, a spokeswoman for Weinstein, Sallie Hofmeister, denied the accusations.

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” she said. “Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”

Actresses Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette told The New Yorker that they suspected that Weinstein kept them from working in Hollywood after they rejected his advances. Hofmeister denied the allegation.

Four women, including Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, told The New Yorker that Weinstein touched them inappropriately in a way that could be construed as assault.

Guitierrez said she went to the New York Police Department after Weinstein groped her in 2015, according to The New Yorker. He admitted to grabbing her without consent in an audio recording taken by the model for police, but no charges were filed against Weinstein.

Weinstein was ousted from his position with The Weinstein Company on Sunday amid fallout from the sexual harassment allegations uncovered by The New York Times. Multiple celebrities have come out in support of Weinstein’s accusers in the wake of the report.

Anton Yelchin remembered by 'Star Trek' co-stars, loved ones at statue unveiling

Friends, family and co-stars gathered on Sunday to remember the late Anton Yelchin at a statue unveiling at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles.

The actor died at the age of 27 in June 2016 after he was struck by his own car at his Studio City, California, home.

>> Read more trending news

Zoe Saldana, one of Yelchin’s “Star Trek” co-stars, spoke about his life and legacy at the emotional memorial, saying, “It is a bittersweet moment, because we’re here for Anton, and he’s not here with us.”

“But it alleviates my heart knowing that we’ll keep him alive. We’re going to keep remembering him in the hopes that by practicing all the things he believed in and remembering all the love that he gave us, and all the joy he gave us, we’re able to just keep him here with us,” she said. She also read a chapter about friendship from “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran, according to PEOPLE.

>> On Rare.us: Four months after his death, Chris Cornell’s wife Vicky meets with the medical examiner

Yelchin’s mother, Irina, also spoke about her son and remembered him as a “beautiful human being.” She dedicated a project to his memory, the Anton Yelchin Foundation, which will help young artists “who face career challenges due to debilitating disease or disability.”

“We want to keep Anton’s spirit, his legacy, alive for many, many years to come,” she said. “After Anton left, there are only a couple of things left to do. A foundation, photography book and sculpture. We accomplish two by today. The Anton Yelchin Foundation and the statue at Hollywood Forever, so he would be surrounded by the people he admired and to be in the middle of the city that he loved so much.”

His statue is located in the Garden of Legends at the cemetery, just steps away from musician Chris Cornell’s memorial.

Amanda Seales criticized in Jordans vs. passports debate

In a series of tweets Monday, actress Amanda Seales prompted the latest round of debates on Twitter about spending money on clothes -- like Jordan’s -- or travel and experiences, as in the case of buying a passport. 

>> Read more trending news

Essence reported that Seales posted the tweets while flying to Paris.

Seales’ comments on the matter, which is routinely debated on Twitter, were considered shallow, even classist, by some.

According to tweets from sociologist Eve Ewing, Seales’ tweets ignored the history and impact of generational wealth in black communities.

“Jordans are not driving the wealth gap and passports ain't gon fix it,” Ewing tweeted, linking to a Washington Post article. The Post story, from Sept. 28, cites data from the Federal Reserve

According to reserve data, white families have nearly 10 times the net worth of black families and the wealth gap between the two continues to grow.

Ewing’s argument is that spending money on travel and passports instead of clothes and shoes will not eliminate the generational wealth gap.

Others, however, said that Seales was merely saying if a person can spend money on clothes, they can spend the same amount on travel and it’s a matter of priorities.

Seales says it’s about balance.

“Frivolity has its place but not in place of practicality. Lesson I hv (sic) learned. Feel free 2 take it or pass,” she tweeted.

What ‘Game of Thrones’ actor Liam Cunningham just revealed about season 8 premiere

Fans of the hit HBO show “Game of Thrones” may have to wait a little longer for the return of the epic fantasy drama’s eighth season.

>> Read more trending news

Actor Liam Cunningham, who plays Ser Davos Seaworthy on the show, revealed that the production will begin filming very soon during a panel at New York Comic Con Saturday.

“Tomorrow I fly back to Ireland and the first table reading is on Sunday,” he said. “The second table reading is on Monday. Then we rehearse and then start shooting the week after.”

Normally, the show spends six months shooting a season and finishes up in December, Cunningham told TV Guide.

But for the eighth season, episodes are expected to be even longer than usual.

>>Related: POLL: What’s the most evil thing Cersei Lannister has done (so far)?

“We’re filming right up until the summer. When you think about it, up until last season we’d have six months to do ten episodes, so we’re [doing] way more than that for six episodes. So that obviously will translate into longer episodes,” he said.

Cunningham’s comments lend a major clue that the season is likely to premiere in 2019.

 Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss previously announced the two final seasons would be split between 13 episodes.

After season seven’s seven episodes, most fans and critics are predicting a six-episode series finale. And, according to Vanity Fair, episodes are slated to run as 80-minute (or longer) features.

>>Related: Lyanna Mormont is the 10-year-old feminist icon Game of Thrones needs

To avoid leaked scripts, the network has also added extra security and not even the cast is truly in the know.

Read more here.

Winona Ryder says she was bullied, called a ‘witch’ after starring in ‘Beetlejuice’

Actress Winona Ryder says she was bullied after starring in the Tim Burton’s classic 80s film “Beetlejuice.”

>> Read more trending news

In a new interview with Marie Claire U.K., Ryder said her peers called her a “witch,” after her goth turn in the popular film.

“I remember thinking, ‘Ooh, it’s, like, the number-one movie. This is going to make things great at school,'” Ryder said. “But it made things worse. They called me a witch.”

Ryder didn’t let the haters get her down, though. She went on to win a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the 1993 Martin Scorsese film “The Age of Innocence,” and she’s had many famous turns in films like “Edward Scissorhands,” “Heathers,” “Girl, Interrupted” and “Black Swan.”

Related: Fans were thrown for a loop in the first 2 episodes of the new season of “Blue Bloods”

She is currently starring in Netflix’s original sci-fi horror series “Stranger Things.”

Beyonce, Blue Ivy steal show at friends’ wedding

Beyonce, Jay-Z and Blue Ivy were in New Orleans over the weekend for a wedding, and, as most things involving Beyonce go, the Carters stole the show.

>> Read more trending news

The family was at the wedding of friends Lawrence “Law” Parker and Dr. Jessica Clemons. Parker is a music producer and manager for artists at Jay’s Roc Nation imprint. Clemons is a psychiatry resident at NYU Langone Medical Center.

One Instagram video shows the family at the reception of the wedding dancing and posing for photos.

One video shows Blue happily dancing with dad Jay and cheering, “Yay!” as mom Beyonce walks through the crowd.

Blue and Bey’s dresses were show stoppers, too. Elle reported that Blue wore a Mischka Aoki Eternal Beauty dress that sells for around $5,000. Popsugar reported that Beyonce work a silk peach dress with draping shoulder details. Blue’s younger siblings, twins Rumi and Sir, didn’t appear to be at the event.

See photos of the family at the wedding and the bride and groom below:

Related video: Jay-Z And Beyonce Through The Years

Meryl Streep slams Harvey Weinstein, calling sexual assault allegations ‘disgraceful’

Actress Meryl Streep is speaking out about sexual misconduct allegations against Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.

>> Read more trending news

The actress slammed Weinstein in a statement to the Huffington Post on Monday.

“The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported,” she told the publication. “The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.”

She continued, “One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew. Harvey supported the work fiercely, was exasperating but respectful with me in our working relationship, and with many others with whom he worked professionally.”

“I didn’t know about these other offenses: I did not know about his financial settlements with actresses and colleagues; I did not know about his having meetings in his hotel room, his bathroom, or other inappropriate, coercive acts,” she said. “And if everybody knew, I don’t believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it.”

>> Related: Harvey Weinstein fired from film company

“The behavior is inexcusable, but the abuse of power familiar,” the actress stated. “Each brave voice that is raised, heard and credited by our watchdog media will ultimately change the game.”

Ashley Judd is among the accusers and claims that Weinstein invited her to the Peninsula beverly Hills Hotel 20 years ago for what she thought was a breakfast meeting. When she arrived, she claimed that he invited her to his room, where he opened the door wearing a bathrobe, offered her a massage and asked her to watch him shower.

I said no, a lot of ways, a lot of times, and he always came back at me with some new ask. It was all this bargaining, this coercive bargaining,” Judd said.

>> Related: Harbey Weinstein responds to Ashley Judd’s bombshell sexual assault allegations

Weinstein was fired from his film studio on Sunday, in one of the latest developments in the case alleging he engaged in sexual misconduct and sexual harassment against women for decades.

Scorpions cancel U.S. tour, singer diagnosed with serious case of laryngitis

 

The German heavy metal band the Scorpions have announced the cancellation of the rest of their U.S tour with Megadeth over an illness in the band.

>> Read more trending news

Lead singer Klaus Meine was diagnosed with a serious case of laryngitis, according to a statement on the group’s website, which reads: 

"The Scorpions regret to announce that due to severe laryngitis, the remainder of the 2017 US tour will be cancelled. Klaus Meine has been advised by a top throat specialist in Los Angeles to rest his voice. If he continues the tour, he could risk permanent damage.” 

The multi-platinum-selling band have been performing for more than 50 years, celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2015.

The band’s statement said members hated to disappoint fans, but felt they had no choice

Ticket refunds are available at the point of purchase, according to the website.

>> Related: Chris Cornell’s wife still searching for answers in his suicide death

There’s no word on whether the Scorpion’s plan to reschedule the U.S. tour dates on their Crazy World tour.

 

Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher say 'no presents for the kids' this Christmas

According to Mila Kunis, she and husband Ashton Kutcher will not be giving their children any Christmas gifts this year, and they’ve asked the children’s grandparents to limit the number of gifts they give.

>> Read more trending news 

In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Kunis, who is promoting her upcoming movie, “Bad Moms Christmas,” said her upbringing shaped her view and understanding of Christmas. 

“I come from communist Russia, where you’re not allowed to be happy, so my holiday traditions are ‘be quiet,’” Kunis said. “Coming to America is when you realize Christmas has a magical quality to it. In Russia, back in the day, it was a very religious holiday, so you don't celebrate Christmas if you’re not Christian and if you’re not at Mass. So, I being Jewish, was like, ‘Christmas is not for you.’”

Kunis, 34, moved to the U.S. from Ukraine in 1991 at the age of 7

“We come to America and we're like, ‘Christmas is so inclusive,’” Kunis told ET. “We literally bought a Christmas tree. So as far as tradition goes, my family’s big on any excuse to get the family together and get drunk. Whether it's Easter, which we've now all accepted into our Jewish household, or Christmas, it doesn't matter. It's all family time, but having kids, we're building up our own little versions of tradition.”

>> Kristin Cavallari criticized for 'single parent' comment

Kunis, who shares two children with Kutcher -- 3-year-old Wyatt and 1-year-old Dimitri -- said the couple have a new tradition this year.

“No presents for the kids,” she told ET. “We're instituting it this year because when the kids are [around age] 1, it doesn't really matter. Last year when we celebrated Christmas, Wyatt was 2and it was too much. We didn't give her anything -- it was the grandparents. The kid no longer appreciates the one gift. They don't even know what they're expecting; they’re just expecting stuff.”

Kunis said she and Kutcher have asked their parents to limit the number of gifts they purchase for their grandchildren to one.

“We've told our parents, ‘We’re begging you -- if you have to give her something, pick one gift. Otherwise, we'd like to take a charitable donation to the Children’s Hospital or a pet -- whatever you want.’ That's our new tradition,” she said.

Read more at Entertainment Tonight.

>> Asian-American basketball player Jeremy Lin responds to criticism for having dreadlocks

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >